Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Fall Break, Part 1: LIBERTY

Well, I have had quite an interesting break. I left Appalachian Tuesday afternoon after my classes and then enjoyed a quiet evening at home with my family. On Wednesday, after lunch at IHOP with my dad, I made my way over to Liberty University to visit my best friend, Leanna.An important thing to know about Leanna and me is that we've been friends for an awfully long time. We were basically the same person back in 10th grade, but now we are pretty extreme opposites. However, we have amazingly been able to maintain a strong friendship, which is awesome! Anyway, I spent 3 days with her at Liberty, and it was QUITE the experience.I got to experience life for a Liberty student, and I was both impressed and appalled. First of all, let me say that all of these students that I met were incredibly nice people. Also, pretty people. They are fun to be around, and I felt like I made friends quickly here. Campus church Wednesday night was pretty much what I expected-- a typical "youth-camp" worship service, with the lights, stage, large band, praise songs, hand raising, and easy-going speaker.

Over the next 2 days I got to go to 3 of Leanna's classes as well as Convocation Friday morning.
In order to avoid an obnoxiously long blog, I'll leave my commentary to a minimum. Basically, I really enjoyed this experience, but I am very glad that I do not attend this university. On the surface, this university and the students in it seem average. But then there are all these subtle differences. At convocation Jerry Falwell's son, Jerry Junior, introduced Carl Rove. He knew all of the key words that would make the Liberty students applaud and scream. They went wild with awkward applause at the mention of these words and phrases: "conservative," "snotty Liberals," "Jesus," "faith," etc.

This is a picture of Leanna's seemingly normal dorm.All-in-all, I feel about the same about this place as I thought I would. It still seems rather cult-like and un-academic, but I am glad that Leanna is happy here. I'll leave you with this... a picture of Leanna and me at "Dr." Jerry Falwell's grave. Note the large courtyard and fountain with a flaming cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment